iPad 2 Advantages & Disadvantages at a Glance
There are many tablet announcements in this year. But nothing can matches with Apple iPad 2 announced and released in March 2011. Though Samsung and LG announced their Galaxy Tab 10.1 and Optimus Pad earlier than iPad 2 but they are not see the shops yet. Original iPad released in 2010 was a massive hit. Apple don’t want to change it overnight. So they try to makes it even better with powerful hardware and 33% thinner design. If you want to check iPad 2 main feature list then go to this page. I wrote it earlier.
Here I am about to tell you about iPad 2 key features and advantages at a glance. I also look at its drawbacks to show the lacking behind this awesome gadget.
Main Advantages of iPad 2-
- Reduced weight of 601 grams.
- Only 8.8 mm thin. 33% thinner than original iPad.
- Same IPS display used in iPad. Fingerprint/scratch resistant oleophobic surface.
- Four and five-finger gestures; locked by default, but easy to enable with a Mac and a $5 app.
- 900 MHz Apple A5 SoC dual-core ARM Cortex A9 processor.
- PoverVR SGX543MP2 graphics, 9 times faster than iPad GPU.
- 512MB RAM.
- Wi-Fi 802.11 a/b/g/n connectivity
- A-GPS support in 3G + Wi-Fi version.
- Dual camera, 720p video recording.
- Face time calling.
- 1080p TV-output with the Apple Digital AV Adapter. Adapter price is $39.
- 720p video streaming.
- Compatible with every iPhone app without any modifications.
- Price is same as original iPad.
- Price is lower than unlocked iPhone.
My main opinion is Apple did exceptionally well to make iPad 2 available with the same price tag of $499 to $829. Now look at its drawbacks.
- No regular SIM card slot. Supports only Micro-SIM for the 3G models.
- No voice telephony features like other tablets.
- No standard USB port. You must buy a converter to get USB connectivity in iPad 2.
- GPS receiver is only comes with Wi-Fi+3G version.
- iPhone apps designed for HVGA resolution squander screen real estate.
- You must use iTunes to send content to iPad 2.
- No kickstand – iPad 2 cannot stand on a table without the help of a dock stand or a Smart cover.
- iPad 2 web browser don’t support flash.
- iPad 2 lacks stereo stereo loudspeakers.
- No standard display port connection. You must use Apple own adapter to do so and that will cost you extra money.
- As always, no memory card slot.
- iPad 2 battery is not interchangeable.
- No tethering and personal hotspot support.